The History of the Admiral Fitzroy Inn
About the Inn
Enter a world of seafaring captains and historic grace as you walk through the doors of the Admiral Fitzroy Inn. Built in 1854 to designs by renowned architect Dudley Newton, the historic property is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Inn had its first home two blocks away on Spring Street where it served as the convent for the sisters of St. Mary’s Church. After local entrepreneur Don Glassie bought the building in 1986, it was dismantled and moved to its current location on lower Thames Street then rebuilt to its original size and style standing tall and proud in Newport’s waterfront district.
The Inn is named for a famous English Admiral and meteorologist who commanded the H.M.S. Beagle on Charles Darwin's expedition that inspired the Origin of the Species.
About the Admiral
Admiral Fitzroy was one of the first to attempt a scientific weather forecast. Returning from his famous journey with Darwin, he took up the newly created post of Head of Meteorology at the Board of Trade in London and began collecting the information necessary to predict the weather. Working on this knowledge, Fitzroy created the first easy-to-use barometer, leading to the first daily weather forecasts published in The London Times in 1860.
The Admiral Fitzroy Inn is pleased to announce that it has recently acquired an antique Admiral Fitzroy Barometer which is proudly being displayed in the lobby. Also, visit our conference room (upon availability) to view a 10x4 mural depicting the Admiral Fitzroy's around the world journey with Charles Darwin on the HMS Beagle in 1836.